What is holding us back as an industry? Here are our top 10 challenges for the real estate sector to become Paris-proof:
- Responsible for almost 40% of total global emissions: Real Estate is responsible for a significant portion of global greenhouse gas emissions.
- Lack of data and transparency: There is a lack of reliable data on building energy performance and carbon emissions.
- High costs of retrofitting existing buildings: Retrofitting existing buildings to reduce carbon emissions can be expensive, and many building owners are reluctant to make these investments.
- Insufficient financing for green building projects: There is (still) a lack of financing for green building projects, and financial institutions are often hesitant to invest in them.
- Regulatory barriers: Regulations and building codes may not be aligned with Paris-proof goals, making it challenging for the real estate sector to adopt sustainable practices.
- Lack of awareness and education: Many building owners, developers, and occupants are not aware of the benefits of sustainable building practices or do not have the knowledge to implement them.
- Limited collaboration between stakeholders: The real estate sector involves many stakeholders, including building owners, developers, tenants, regulators, and financial institutions.
- Uncertainty around future energy prices and carbon pricing: Uncertainty around future energy prices and carbon pricing can make it challenging for the real estate sector to plan and invest in sustainable building practices.
- Lack of incentives for sustainable building practices: There are few incentives for building owners and developers to adopt sustainable building practices, making it less likely that they will invest in them.
- Limited availability of sustainable building materials and technologies: Sustainable building materials and technologies may not be readily available or affordable, making it difficult for the real estate sector to adopt sustainable practices.
In conclusion, the real estate sector faces significant challenges in becoming Paris-proof. These challenges must be addressed through collaborative efforts among stakeholders, improved data collection and transparency, financing mechanisms for green building projects, and regulatory frameworks that support sustainable building practices. With concerted efforts, the real estate sector can play a critical role in achieving the Paris Agreement's goals and mitigating the effects of climate change.
Join Our Mission!